Buildings & Contents

The house you own is likely to be the most valuable asset you will ever have so it is important to protect it against damage. In addition, protecting what is inside that house is also important in the event of damage, loss or theft.

What’s the difference between buildings insurance and contents insurance?

Being a homeowner comes with a lot of responsibility, so you may want to take out both buildings and contents insurance. Repairing damage to your house as a whole can be very costly, with jobs as large as fixing a damaged roof. This is where buildings insurance comes in, covering the cost of walls, windows and permanent fixtures such as kitchens and toilets.

Contents insurance covers your possessions, your “contents” is defined as anything you would take with you when moving house. You will be covered for the cost of replacing these items if they are stolen, destroyed or damaged. The total value of your contents should be carefully calculated before looking for quotes.

Can I protect my possessions outside of my home?

Personal possessions insurance will protect your belongings when you take them outside your home. However, items that are particularly valuable will need to be listed to your insurer separately.

Is buildings and contents insurance compulsory?

Home insurance isn’t required by law but mortgage lenders are likely to specify that you need a buildings insurance policy in order to proceed further. We all want peace of mind when going through events in modern life, and having home insurance will save a lot of time and stress in the future.

Policies may vary depending on your lifestyle for example having children or multiple possessions you want to protect.

Questions & Answers

Do I need buildings insurance if I rent?

If you are renting a property you will not need buildings insurance as this will be taken care of by your landlord.

Does contents insurance cover theft?

Yes, you will be covered if your possessions are stolen, lost or damaged.

Should I get buildings and contents insurance together?

You are likely to get a discount if you get buildings and contents insurance together and can be made easier when taking them out with the same insurance provider.

Please note, for insurance products term and conditions apply. This information is a summary only. You will receive full policy documents upon application. This policy will set out the terms, conditions and limitations of cover provided under the plan.

Home Insurance services are referred to a third party. Key Mortgages are not responsible for the service received.